What microorganisms is the PermaSafe System effective against?
The PermaSafe System* kills up to 99.999% of harmful microorganisms, including the following Bacteria, Viruses and Fungi.
Gram Negative Bacteria
- Acinetobacter baumannii ATCC 19606
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa ATCC 15442
- Legionella pneumophila ATCC 33153
- Salmonella enterica ATCC 10708
- Klebsiella pneumoniae (NDM-1) ATCC BAA-2146
- Escherichia coli ATCC 11229
- Bordetella bronchiseptica ATCC 10580
- Chlamydia psittaci, Strain 6BC, ATCCVR-125
Gram Positive Bacteria
- Staphylococcus aureus MRSA ATCC 33592
- Staphylococcus aureus ATCC 6538
- Listeria monocytogenes ATCC 15313
- Mycobacterium bovis- BCG
- Penicillin- Resistant Streptococuspenumoniae, ATCC 700677
- Swine Influenza (H1N1) Virus**
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus**
- Influenza B Virus**
- Hepatitis A Virus**
- Hepatitis B Virus**
- Hepatitis C Virus**
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV Type 1)**
- Hantavirus (Prospect Hill Virus) University of Ontario**
- Canine Distemper Virus, Strain Snyder Hill, ATCC VR**
- Felid Herpesvirus 1, Strain C-27, ATCC VR-636**
- Feline coronavirus, Strain WSU 79-1683, ATCC VR-989**
- Canine coronavirus, Strain 1-71, ATCC VR-809**
- Canine lnfluenza (H3N8) virus, Strain A/Ca/NY/105913/08, Cornell University**
- Feline Infectious Peritonitis Virus, Strain: WSU 79, ATCC VR-990**
- Rabies Virus, Strain: Flury (HEP), ATCC VR-139**
- Herpes Simplex Virus 1 (Human), Strain HF, ATCC VR-260**
- Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus, Strain CO 2013, USDA APHIS 025-PDV001
- Norovirus Feline Calicivirus**
- Murine Norovirus (MNV-1)**
- Adenovirus 1, Strain Adenoid 71, ATCC VR-1**
- Canine Parvovirus, Strain Cornell-780916, ATCC VR-2016**
- Canine adenovirus 1, Strain Utrecht, ATCC VR-293**
- Herpes Simplex Virus 1 (Human), Strain HF, ATCC VR-260**
- Feline panleukopenia virus, Strain Philips-Roxane, ATCC VR-648**
- Enterbacter aerogenes ATCC 13048
- Aspergillus niger ATCC 6275
- Trichophyton rubrum ATCC MYA
- Trichophyton mentagrophytes ATCC 9533
*The PermaSafe System is comprised of 2 Products, PermaSafe Clean, Step 1 and PermaSafe SHIELD, Step 2.
How does the PermaSafe system work?
The PermaSafe System is comprised of two distinct, yet equally remarkable, patented and EPA registered products:
PermaSafe CLEAN, our high-performance, multi-surface cleaner; no-rinse, no-wipe sanitizer and broad-spectrum hospital-grade disinfectant and odor, allergen, mold, mildew and fungi eliminator.
PermaSafe SHIELD, our long-lasting antimicrobial surface protectant that continuously inhibits the growth and spread of microorganisms and helps prevent the growth and spread of bacteria.
Effective on an almost endless array of soft and hard, porous and nonporous materials and surfaces, a PermaSafe System installation starts by fogging PermaSafe CLEAN throughout the designated area and the HVAC system that services it. Upon application, PermaSafe CLEAN:
- Kills 99.999% of harmful bacteria and viruses
- Destroys mold & mildew and helps prevent regrowth
- Eliminates existing, and helps prevent future odors
- Sanitizes HVAC system components and ductwork
Once clean, disinfected and deodorized, the same spaces and surfaces are then fogged with PermaSafe SHIELD, our unique antimicrobial surface protectant.
Upon application, the patented active ingredient in PermaSafe SHIELD permanently bonds with the surfaces to which it is applied. As the protective coating dries millions of positively-charged microscopic “spikes” form and extend from the surface.
Because microorganisms are negatively charged, they are electrostatically pulled onto the positively charged spikes and eliminated, as the spikes rupture their cell walls and, essentially “electrocute” them.
Exceptionally multifunctional, PermaSafe’s chemistries also help preserve and protect the look, feel and smell of treated fabrics and other materials, from curtains to carpets and everything in between. It also:
- Repels and helps resist stains from liquids, dirt and other spills
- Shields and can help extend life of upholstery, carpets and other surfaces
- Helps prevents future odors, fading and surface degradation
Even more than its versatility, what’s most remarkable about the PermaSafe System is it remains antimicrobially effective for months, and does so without the use of any harsh chemicals.
How long does PermaSafe last?
While PermaSafe CLEAN acts and dissipates quickly, the subsequent application of PermaSafe SHIELD provides months of 24-7 antimicrobial protection.
SHIELD’s patented antimicrobial agent forms a covalent bond with the surfaces to which it’s applied. In this regard, SHIELD isn’t really a “coating” like paint because its application actually results in the formation of a totally new surface, technically known as a co-polymer, which becomes an integral part of the original surface.
SHIELD does not dissipate over time, does not volatilize (give off gasses orchemicals into the air), is insoluble (it won’t wash off), doesn’t leach (move through other materials by any one of a number of physical processes) and isn’t absorbed or consumed (eaten) by the microbes. In theory, it should last and remain antimicrobially effective forever. In practice it does not. Given the many different surfaces, environments and conditions SHIELD is subjected to, and other factors, our residual efficacy claim is limited to “up to 90 days.”*
*Inhibits the growth of microorganisms, odor causing bacteria, bacteria which cause staining and discoloration, fungi and algae for up to 90 days.
Is PermaSafe effective on all of the many different materials and surfaces in my vehicle’s passenger cabin?
Yes. PermaSafe SHIELD™ bonds to and is effective on, virtually any surface, whether it’s porous, nonporous, hard, soft, solid or fabric/upholstery. This is an important benefit of PermaSafe as standard disinfectants are, by federal law, only approved for use on hard, non-porous surfaces.
Do surfaces that have been treated with PermaSafe products need to be cleaned?
The PermaSafe System is not a replacement for routine cleaning. It fact, routinecleaning is recommended to keep it effective, as the antimicrobial surface is very thin and too much dirt or other contaminant build-up can cover the spike like appliances and render them less effective until they are cleaned.
Will regular cleaning of a PermaSafe treated surface reduce its effectiveness?
No. Normal cleaning will not harm or remove the top coat of PermaSafe SHIELD.™ It is, however, important to note that sanding, or scrubbing PermaSafe SHIELD™ treated surfaces with abrasive cleaners, will partially remove it, requiring spot reapplication to regain effectiveness.
What is the key difference between the PermaSafe System and other antimicrobials in the marketplace?
The differences between the PermaSafe System and ALL other antimicrobial treatments are many. However the key difference is probably the perpetual antimicrobial control our system provides as a result of PermaSafe SHIELD, the final product applied during a PermaSafe System installation.
Conventional disinfectants and antimicrobials kill microorganisms by poisoning them with chemicals. Due to their toxicity, they are designed to act quickly and dissipate quickly to avoid adverse effects to humans and animals. Unfortunately, as soon as such disinfectants evaporate, so does their antimicrobial capabilities, enabling germs to return almost immediately.
Like conventional antimicrobials, the PermaSafe System includes an effective, immediate initial microbial kill. However, this is where the similarities end, as unlike the others, PermaSafe SHIELD™ eliminates and controls microbes perpetually. And even more uniquely, it does so through a purely physical process, without the use of any harmful chemicals, though it’s unique, patented surface modifying technology.
How safe are the PermaSafe System Products?
Nothing is more important to us than your safety. It’s the driving force behind our
people, our products and our corporate policies and procedures.
Both PermaSafe CLEAN, Step 1 and PermaSafe SHIELD, Step 2 are EPA Registered,
Food Contact Surface Approved and neither will stain any surface that water won’t
stain. But there’s much more you should know about these two amazing products:
PermaSafe CLEAN, Step 1 is also:
- Carpet Institute Approved
- 100% Biodegradable
- Rinse and Wipe-free
- VOC – free
- No harsh chemicals
- No skin irritants
- No added fragrance
- No nauseous smells
- No gloves required
- No PPE required
- No dermal irritation
- No ocular irritation
PermaSafe SHIELD, Step 2 is also:
- FDA Approved
- Water Based
- Odor Free
Safe to Use on, a Vast Range of Food Contact
and other Sensitive Surfaces, including:*
- All Cookware
- Cutting boards
- Food wrap
- Water filters
- Air purifiers
- Bed sheets
- Men’s underwear
- Men’s outerwear
- Disposable diapers
- Woman’s hosiery
- Intimate apparel
*Please view PermaSafe SHIELD Master Label for exact uses and approved materials.